Saturday, June 11, 2011

Meal Plan Sunday - 6/12/2011

I started making meal plans in the beginning of 2011 and I very quickly learned what worked for our family and what didn't. Currently, we have 3 cooks in our household. That's right. There are three of us. Two of them are Brazilians (my husband and his brother) who would happily serve rice and beans EVERY SINGLE DAY. I mean, there is nothing bad with rice and beans, I actually like the food, but every day is just a little bit too much for my taste.
This was one thing to consider. The second one is simply that I can't plan meals and assign them to specific dates. Whoever comes home first at night makes dinner. It's as simple as that.
Therefore each week when I plan next week's meals, I have to consider that there will be a rice and beans dish at least twice. I also have to make flexible plans that enable me to adjust the plan as necessary.



Yesterday we stopped by our local Aldi and picked up mainly produce, fresh berries, and some fish and meat. They had strawberries for sale ($1.49 per pack) and blueberries (also $ 1.49 per pack). I stocked up on those. They had big packages of frozen Tilapia at $ 3.00 per pound. We had those fillets before and really liked them.

Anyway, here is this weeks menu:

And here is the legible version:
Breakfasts:
- Rice pudding with fresh cherries (Recipe to follow)

- Oatmeal with milk and blueberries
- Wholewheat cereal with milk and apple slices
- Melon-berry-smoothie, toast with homemade strawberry jam (I finally made a batch last week)
- Homemade waffles (from the freezer) with fruit
- Oatmeal with berries
- Scrambled eggs with toast, melon-berry-smoothie
Lunches:
- Peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt, fresh fruit ( x 2 )
- Leftovers and fresh fruit ( x 3)
Dinners:
- Pasta and veggie casserole with cheese
- Rice, beans and beef steaks ( x 2 )

- Pasta bolognese with veggies; side salad
- Wrap with ground beef, carrots and peppers; side salad
- Baked potato wedges, zucchini, mushrooms and baked chicken
- Leftovers
I will try to pick out one of my recipes each week and post pictures and instructions here. This should turn into a nice recipe file with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment